Who we are
Kier is the UK’s leading highways service provider, working with a wide range of partners from key central organisations like Highways England through to a wide range of local authorities, who are collectively responsible for the roads we travel on. We manage 50,000km of the UK’s strategic and local authority road network.
For over 90 years we have helped clients to deliver a wide range of road, bridge and tunnel projects, and have handled everything from planning, programming and delivery of major road schemes to routine maintenance and operation.
What we do
Our focus is on collaboration with our clients, our supply chain partners and our peers to share learning and experience, as well as to support the creation, development and implementation of new ideas and innovations in a world where technology is transforming the way we plan, travel and experience journeys.
We handle everything from the planning, programming and delivery of major road schemes to routine maintenance and operation. We focus on research and collaboration with stakeholders to find innovative solutions which will improve our roads and make a positive impact on local communities. We specialise in surface dressing for local authorities across the UK, from full resurfacing schemes to repairing minor defects.
Here are a few examples of where Kier is having a significant impact.
- We maintain one of the most complex and busiest road systems in the UK, the world-renowned Spaghetti Junction in the West Midlands – carrying 60,000 vehicles each day.
- With Highways England, we are transforming the Smart motorway network in the UK to improve traffic flow and safety.
- We manage and maintain more tunnels for strategic roads in the UK than any other provider.
- We are delivering major sections of the Smart Motorways Project, designed to deliver extra capacity and more reliable journey times on the motorway network.
- At the iconic new six lane Mersey Gateway toll bridge, we have pushed efficiencies through the £600m project and introduced innovative design of viaducts.
- We deliver highways services to 4.2m people across 20 local authorities.
- Cornwall Council and Highways England has benefited from a £33m joint funded contract to dual the A30 between Temple and Higher Carblake.
- Our routine, reactive maintenance includes emptying gullies, surface treatment and repairing pot-holes for local authorities across the UK.
- Our local authority contract education and social value plans generate £1.6m of social value each year.
Clearing and repairing damaged sections of the A591 hit by storms in 2015/16, working with Cubby Construction on behalf of Highways England, operating in volatile conditions and completing the project three weeks early followed by a reopening ceremony performed by HRH Prince of Wales.
Re-waterproofing and resurfacing the Gravelly Hill Interchange, the main link between the Spaghetti Junction on the M6 and the centre of Birmingham, developing a customer led delivery model, challenging the norm and changing working practices to meet customer needs.
Transforming a London Borough of Kingston Road into a model for healthy streets. Creating cycle tracks and cycle parking, whilst communicating with local residents and businesses.
Working with Surrey County Council and the supply chain to deliver £120m of work for £100m on the fourth busiest road network in the UK, dramatically improving the condition of the roads in the county, driving down the cost of materials and increasing investment in new techniques and equipment.
One of the largest infrastructure initiatives in the UK encompassing a new six-lane toll bridge over the River Mersey along with 9km of local road upgrades. Construction was carried out by Merseylink Civil Contractors, a joint venture between Kier Infrastructure, Samsung and FCC.
Regenerating Britain's oldest market in 10 weeks, collaborating with a wide range of supply chain partners, engaging with the local residents, businesses and traders and bringing a delicate touch to a much loved historical site.
Easing congestion at this iconic London tourist location by integrating and coordinating pedestrian, cycling and traffic movements; using detailed planning techniques and innovative use of materials to minimise closure locations and durations; and responding quickly to changing security requirements after a terrorist attack just before the work was to begin.
Partnering Surrey County Council with an innovative scheme that brings vulnerable people in social care into the workplace, supporting these candidates to be able to carry out basic highway works in the community and helping tackle the national social care time bomb.
The A13 Road Widening Project is being delivered by Kier on behalf of Thurrock Council. The works include adding an additional lane in both directions between Orsett and Stanford-le-Hope and replacing four bridges. Due to open in autumn 2020, it will support economic growth, reduce congestion and enhance safety.
Cheshire’s first smart motorway from Crewe to Knutsford. Converting a 20 mile stretch of the M6 into an ‘all lane running’ smart motorway; creating much needed extra capacity and more reliable journey times. It will reduce delays and excessive congestion for the 120,000 (approx.) vehicles that use it each day.
" Kier are a skilled and resourceful team who care about our customers and get the job done. "CEO Highways England